Monday, August 11, 2008

Dehydration is no fun...

Yesterday was a VERY lazy day. We didn't do a damn thing, except watch the Olympics, Go Team USA!!! We should have cleaned or washed clothes or something but, no, we did NOTHING.

Today, I get to dehydrate tissue. It's starts in 50% ethyl alcohol and finishes in 100%. After that it goes into various cencentrations of xylene (nasty, smelly stuff). I know you don't care much about this but all the people I work with have to dehydrate too so they've heard it all. Oh, did I mention the whole process takes like forever...actually it takes about 4 hours but, during that 4 hours you can't venture too far from the lab so you can do fluid changes every 30 minutes or so. I am more or less tied to the lab today.

This evening a couple of us are going with a fellow grad student to catch bats. One of the mammal students is doing his thesis on bats of Missouri...fun, fun. We won't get back until like 2 in the morning. That is nothing new though, with Josh's research there were mornings we saw the sun rise on our way back from the mine shaft, then we got to sleep all day. Those were the days!!! Thankfully my research doesn't involve a long drive or camping trip. I could walk to my field site. It's about 10 minutes from the apartment and 4 minutes from the nearest liquor store.

No comments: